A window blind or a shade has many different purposes, from acting as a basic protective device from the sun to enhanced energy efficiency capabilities. Each blind and shade has a design feature that is unique to its own.
Here is a look at the features of the common window coverings used around homes:
• Used basically for purpose of insulation they are a well-known insulated window shades
• Light filtering capabilities vary with each type of shade, choose based on your needs.
• There are many varieties of light-filtering and room-darkening cellular shades. Shades that can stop light to a 100% are also available.
• Cellular shades come in single, double and sometimes triple-celled shades (triple generally won’t be necessary for homes). A double cell can provide better insulation too.
• Low maintenance and improved privacy
• Well suited for wide windows and doors alike
• Note: If you have a choice always go for high quality fabric, the vinyl coating blocks out heat so acts as a climate control enhancer as well
• PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) has been used as a window covering fabric only a few years back and it has a large following due to its durability and ease of use. An additional factor is the surface of the fabric is easy to clean and maintain. Smooth white vertical blinds have a somewhat glossy finish which adds to the décor of the window shade.
• As décor and functional window covering especially woven wood shades
• Faux wood blinds may have a blend of vinyl and wood or just vinyl based on the product. For a good looking and well-functioning blind choose woven wood blinds.